Farmer's Market Goodies

We have a great Farmer's Market where we live and frequent it often during the spring and summer months.  This year I've made a decision to make something out of each fruit and veggie as they come in season.  One of our first purchases this year from the Market was Rhubarb.  Only once before have I ever made something from rhubarb so I was ready for a challenge.  Rhubarb is really tart on its own and usually requires other fruits or lots of sugar to make it sweet and tasty.  I recently came across this recipe called Rhubarb Slush at a great blog called Mennonite Girls Can Cook.  It turned out great, although I did find it a bit too sweet and next time I may cut the sugar in half or at least scale it down by a half cup.  Here's a picture of my final product.


Here are some pictures of the local Market - when these pictures were taken a lot of bedding plants and garden plants were being sold.




I also made a Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp that was so yummy!!!  The recipe is below...



4 cups Rhubarb pieces (about 1 lb)
2 cups sliced strawberries (I used a container of frozen strawberries and some fresh)
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup flour, divided
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, melted & cooled

In a large bowl combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, 1/3 cup flour and cinnamon.  Transfer to a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish.

In another bowl, combine remaining 1 cup flour with brown sugar, oats and nutmeg (I added a bit of cinnamon again).  Add butter and blend well to create the streusel.  Sprinkle streusel over rhubarb mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.

And here's my finished product.


Comments

Popular Posts