Glorious Jams

Earlier this week, we visited a local berry patch and picked some raspberries and blueberries.  Roelof decided to make this his day off and after packing up a picnic lunch and making sure we had everything that's needed for two small children we were on our way.

When we got to the berry patch I decided to have Asher on a carry pack attached to my chest.  He did not like this at all and was very fussy.  I think it was a combination of him not having his bed and being tired and being hungry too.  After screaming in the raspberry patch for about 10 minutes he finally passed out (only for a total of 10 minutes) and when he woke up he wasn't happy.  So that ended our raspberry picking.  We ended up getting almost a basket full.

Leah wasn't too much of a help when it came to berry picking she was more interested in the dirt and leaves that she found on the ground.  Thanks to Roelof who did 95% of the berry picking that day.  After the raspberries I chose to stay behind with Asher and Leah and Roelof ventured out to do the blueberry picking.

I made a number of things with these beautiful berries and two being Raspberry and Blueberry Jam.  I have never made either of them but they turned out great.  I used a freezer recipe for the raspberry jam, it was easy and it tastes yummy.  I'll link below to the recipe.  For the blueberry jam I did a cooked recipe and its one that says you have to put them in a water bath, I chose not to and just stuck the jars in the freezer.  Here are some pictures! Enjoy!

Good things grow in Ontario
Mmm...blueberries!!
..and raspberries!!
and now both together.
yummy jams full of delicious sugar!!
and this is what my counter looked like this week.

Blueberry Jam


6 cups of smashed blueberries (you’ll need 8-10 cups of unsquashed berries to equal this amount)
6 cups sugar
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
two packets liquid pectin


For the full recipe go to this link- Blueberry Jam

Raspberry Jam

6 cups of fresh raspberries {about 5 6oz baskets}
5 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
1 box of Sure Jell Fruit Pectin
8 half pint mason jars

I found the recipe through Pinterest and found this great blog post on it.  It even included some free printable labels - here's the link - Raspberry Jam

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts