Matters of the Heart

A few weeks ago my dad had a heart attack - he's only 50 and is in fairly good shape.  It was a huge shock to our family and we are so thankful to God that he is still with us.  He is doing well now - making some big adjustments but doing well.

It got me to really think about the food that I put in my body.  Since now I know that heart disease runs in my family and that it is the number one killer (and its a preventable disease) its really getting me re-evaluating my food choices.  My husband and I have made a commitment to eat fresh and healthy as often as we can.  This means eliminating sugar, salt and white flour.  It may be hard at first but the benefits far outweigh what we may be missing.

We do plan on frequenting our local farmer's market a little more often and that may mean spending a bit more money but when it comes to our health we are totally fine with it.  We plan on making our own spaghetti sauce again this year, freezing beans and I am going to try my hand at pickling this year.  I'm excited to try new foods and to eat fresh and healthy!  I'll keep you all updated with my canning adventures this summer!

Comments

Popular Posts