PearTree Home - Recipes

For the past year or so, I've resurrected this old blog and started sharing some of my heart stories; things that have happened in our lives and reflections on some of the traumas and hurts. But as I've learned along the way and healing continues to happen, I am again reflecting on the purpose of this blog.  I have really felt a call to share the different aspects of our lives - from living with alcoholism, to things I do with my kids, my faith, going back to school, favourite recipes, stories, our journey of wellness with essential oils and so much more!

It is my goal that this collection of stories and all other things can serve as a bit of a time capsule for myself and also it is my prayer that maybe it can benefit my readers.

One of my earliest memories of baking was when I was a young girl. Being the oldest and having house full of kids, my mom had me make this recipe quite often. And I'm pretty sure it was probably the first thing I ever learned to bake! Not only is it super yummy, its fairly simple to make. However, it is not healthy at all! This Dutch recipe called "Boterkoek" literally translates to Butter Cake! Its pretty much just that- butter, sugar, and flour oh and a little bit of almond extract!

My childhood was filled with this delicious snack! You have to be sure to not over cook it, otherwise it becomes a bit dry. Undercooking by a just a wee bit actually results in a really delicious and moist cake!





Boterkoek

Prep: 15 mins Baking: 35 - 45 minutes

Pre-heat Oven to 350 F

Ingredients
4/5 lb salted butter (simply divide your block of butter into 5 sections and use 4 of the sections for the recipe) I melt my butter slightly just so the batter mixes up more evenly.
2 cups sugar
3 cups of flour
3 eggs + 1 egg separated (keep egg yolk and set aside)
2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp baking powder

Instructions
1. Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs.
2. Mix well.
3. Add remaining ingredients.
4. Divide mixture and put in 2 greased pie dishes. Using a spatula or knife spread the mixture evenly in the dish.
5. Take egg yolk and mix with a little bit of milk. Spread using a spoon or brush over the top of the mixture.
6. Optional: Top with slivered or sliced almonds
7. Bake at 350 for 35 - 45 minutes. (depends on how powerful your oven is, check at 35 minutes if the middle looks jiggly still or if a tooth pick comes out with stuff on it- give it another 5 minutes).
8. Let cool on counter.

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts